Genesis of CHARUSAT
Charotar University of Science and Technology - CHARUSAT has been conceived by Shri Charotar Moti Sattavis Patidar Kelavani Mandal to put India on global education map by making Charotar – the Land of Sardar Patel the Global Education Hub.
Kelavani Mandal, established in 1994, is a not for profit premier trust of India that works with the mission of social service through education. It has social lineage of more than 118 years from its parent organization Shri Charotar Moti Sattavis Leuva Patidar Samaj– Matrusanstha- known for its dynamic social revolution brought about by initiating Mass Marriages on a massive scale.
Following some reflective discussions (during the centenary celebrations of Matrusanstha in 1993-94) on the activities of the Samaj since its birth, and the challenges facing the development of India in the context of liberalization, privatization and globalization of Indian economy, the Samaj decided to create a dedicated organization for knowledge creation and dissemination. The Samaj created an educational trust Shri Charotar Moti Sattavis Patidar Kelavani Mandal in 1994 with the distinct objective of creating and developing state-of-the-art educational facilities. The trust is a democratically managed institution with three layers of governance and is known for its transparent functioning and its integrity.
Thus, the formation of Kelavani Mandal through Matrusanstha, ultimately led to the establishment of CHARUSAT. It was illuminated under the leadership of two former Presidents - Late Shri Chhotabhai Bhikhabhai Patel and Late Dr. K C Patel. Late Shri Chhotabhai Bhikhabhai Patel, an illustrious businessman and social leader based in Mumbai and founder President of Kelavani Mandal, always insisted on Global Standards. Late Dr. K C Patel, a renowned nuclear scientist and a prominent educationist of Gujarat, who succeeded Shri Chhotabhai Bhikhabhai Patel, dreamt of a university at Education Campus, Changa (ECC).
ECC to CHARUSAT
The journey at Education Campus – Changa (now CHARUSAT Campus) started as a single Institute in the year 2000 with the establishment of Charotar Institute of Technology (CITC) as the first institute which is now known as Chandubhai S Patel Institute of Technology (CSPIT). The development started only with 240 students, 4 programmes, 1 institute and an investment of Rs. 3 Crores. Presently, CHARUSAT offers more than 64 Programs offered by 8 different institutes under the tutelage of 6 Faculties. CHARUSAT has a student strength of 6500, employee strength of 510, capital outlay of Rs. 100 Crores.
Year after year institutes and programs were added. In the years 2002 and 2004, the Mandal established Charotar Institute of Computer Applications (CICA) and Ramanbhai Patel College of Pharmacy (RPCP) respectively. CICA has been rechristened as Smt. Chandaben Mohanbhai Patel Institute of Computer Applications (CMPICA). Year 2006 saw the commencement of Indukaka Ipcowala Institute of Management (I2IM). Two more institutes P D Patel Institute of Applied Sciences (PDPIAS) and Dr. K C Patel R & D Centre were established in the year 2007.
Continuing the growth, in the year 2009, two more institutes were started - Charotar Institute of Physiotherapy and Charotar Institute of Nursing heralding the entry in the field of Healthcare Education. Both the institutes are rechristened. They are now called Ashok and Rita Patel Institute of Physiotherapy and Manikaka Topawala Institute of Nursing.
However, in spite of the growth and achievements, there was simultaneously a sense of dissatisfaction within the ECC system about the poor fit between the curricula, pedagogy and the knowledge and skills of the students graduating from the institutions on the one hand, and the skills and knowledge expected of the graduates by the industry, on the other. The need of the hour was creative autonomy in the form of academic freedom whereby novel and revised curricula may replace the older ones and due weightage may be given to Industry synchronization and practical exposure. It had, in fact, become necessary to function as a University for transformation of society through Education.
An application was made to University Grants Commission (UGC) for acquiring the status of a Deemed to be University. Similar application was made to Government of Gujarat for the establishment of a State Private University. The request made to the Government of Gujarat started getting materialized. Team CHARUSAT was invited to make presentation before the High Power Committee. And finally, on July 7, 2009, with due efforts and procedures, the conglomerate of Institutes and Programs at Education Campus, Changa was accorded the status of a University – Charotar University of Science and Technology.
Thus, CHARUSAT is accorded the status of a university under Gujarat State Act No. 8 of 2009. CHARUSAT is also empowered to award degrees by UGC under Section 22 of UGC Act, 1956.
The name Charotar University of Science and Technology has been conceived to pay tribute to the region – Charotar (the golden land) where it has originated.
The shadow structure with Academic Council, Board of Studies, Curricula, Syllabi was ready beforehand. In the transition phase and ingraining phase, President - Shri Surendra Patel and Secretary - Dr. M C Patel - of Kelavani Mandal provided (honorary) services as the President and the Provost of CHARUSAT respectively.
To guide, monitor and lead the development, progress and expansion at CHARUSAT, different Boards and Councils are formed. Governing Body and Board of Management are the apex bodies that lead CHARUSAT to achieve higher standards. To further help them discharge their vital duties and function in an effective way, various boards and councils like Academic Council, Research Council, Faculty Boards, and Boards of Studies are also formed. In addition, Advisory Boards are formed for each institute on CHARUSAT Campus. For different functions and purposes, specific committees like Finance Committee, Purchase Committee, HR Committee, Purchase Committees for Equipments and Furniture, Library Committee and Exam Reform Committee are also formed.
- Upholding a rich legacy of High Moral Values like Honesty, Integrity, and Transparency
- 105 acres of eco-friendly wi-fi university campus
- 100 MBPS round the clock Internet facility
- 8 Institutes, 6 Faculties and 64 programs from UG to Ph D in Technology & Engineering, Pharmacy, Computer Science & Applications, Management, Applied Sciences, Nursing, Physiotherapy and Paramedical Sciences
- All Academics Programs are approved by concerned statutory regulatory bodies such as AICTE, NBA, PCI, Nursing Council, etc.
- All Education Programs are semester based and are delivered in English.
- Credit and Grading systems are followed for Teaching, Learning, and Evaluation, respectively.
- Education blended with Innovation & Research
- Syllabi and Pedagogy aligned with International Standards
- Grooming Students for Global Assignments
- Intensive Industrial Exposure
- Networking with reputed Organizations
- State-of-the-art teaching & Research labs
- Well-equipped Knowledge Resource Centre with 59,000 books, 282 printed magazines, access to 7169 online journals, 3000 eBooks, and 4854 educational CDs
- Distinguished Qualified and Energetic Faculty
- Placement in prestigious national and multinational corporates
- Thrust on Research and Development
- State of the art teaching and research laboratories accessible 24 hours
- Hold 5 Patents and 14 more filed
- 232 Research Scholars pursuing Ph D
- Dedicated R&D Centre to accelerate Research
- Space Technology Centre to foster research in Space Technology
- Rural Education Program to uplift the standards of education in rural schools - launched as a social responsibility
- An aspiration to be a World Class University